Powered By Blogger

Thursday, October 6, 2016

Melissa Etheridge Says Angelina Jolie's Camp Contacted Her After She Spoke Out on Brad Pitt's Divorce

by Zach Seemayer 11:38 PM PDT, October 05, 2016

On Monday, Melissa Etheridge spoke with Andy Cohen on his SiriusXM radio show, where she opened up about Brad Pitt's divorce from Angelina Jolie. On Wednesday's Watch What Happens Live, the 55-year-old singer sat down with Cohen once again, and revealed that she had been contacted by Jolie's team regarding her earlier comments.

"There are people whose business it is, whose job it is, to kind of fix things for celebrities," Etheridge told Cohen and fellow guest Kelly Clarkson.

Etheridge, who had been friends with Pitt before his marriage to Jolie, told Cohen in her earlier interview that she thought many of the claims against the 52-year-old actor were "completely unfounded" and "heartbreaking."

She also went on to say that many people who knew Pitt "lost a friend" when he struck up his relationship with Jolie, and said that the way Pitt's name and reputation were being tarnished during the ongoing divorce was particularly upsetting.

"It breaks my heart that anyone would take something as personal as your marriage and your relationship and your rights to your children and do it as purposefully as I see it’s being done,” the singer said on Monday.

Etheridge implied that it was these comments, among others, that the actress' camp had an issue with.

"Every time I say something it gets turned around and twisted," she shared with Cohen and Clarkson on WWHL. "And all of a sudden I’m saying something about [Jolie]."

So, to avoid any more misunderstandings, Etheridge turned to music. "I thought I would do what I do best and I wrote a song about it today."

The song, titled "The Fixer Blues," serves as a way to emphasis the points she made in her earlier interviews (with lyrics like "I have not seen my friend in over 10...years and I swear I have never, ever, ever, ever met his wife..."), while at the same time defending her right to free speech ("my opinion is mine and you can take that").

Etheridge's song also contained lyrics that not-too-subtly poked fun at the news that Jolie had hired crisis manager and "fixer" Judy Smith, who is the real-life inspiration for Kerry Washington's Olivia Pope on the ABC drama Scandal ("I hope you understand, to scandalize was never my plan.")

In the end, Ethridge had one sound piece of advice for anyone talking about the high-profile divorce in the future: "When you're chattin' with Andy, you better watch what you say."

not mine.credit and source: ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT

No comments:

Post a Comment