Powered By Blogger

Thursday, February 18, 2016

How can I stop feeling overwhelmed by intense emotion?

Dr. John Preston, PsyD , Psychology, answered

Most of the pain of overwhelming emotion is caused by our struggle against feeling the emotion. We fight against our situation, wishing things were different, being disappointed when our expectations aren’t met and telling ourselves we shouldn’t be upset, depressed, sad, disappointed or angry. The next time you feel overwhelmed by intense emotion, try doing the exact opposite of what you normally do: feel the emotion and accept it.

Tell yourself, “I’m feeling _______ right now and it is very uncomfortable. I don’t have to like it, but it is what I’m feeling in the moment, and I can accept that this is my experience right now. This emotion is only temporary, and it will soon fade.”

The energy we expend in fighting off painful emotions actually makes those emotions worse. If you want to explore the feeling of acceptance further, consider starting a regular meditation practice.

not mine.credit and source: SHARECARE


No comments:

Post a Comment